Monday, October 27, 2008

Go Phillies Go!






























So, unless you've been living under a rock for the past 2 weeks, you realize that my hometown Phightin' Phils are 1 win, yes, 1 WIN away from a World Series Championship tonight. I am so excited (as is the rest of my office) that no one quite knows what to do with themselves.
People have taken the day off of work to prepare (not me) and plan on taking the day off tomorrow to recover (again, not me)but I am still really excited to watch the game tonight and can't wait for the outcome and am hopeful for an awesome parade down Broad Street on Wednesday, yahoo!!!

Now, onto other things...I really figured out how to sew this weekend with the help of my awesome friend E. I got to see her house and meet her pitty pup, Cami, who is SO adorable and the house is fantastic. She and her BF R have done an amazing job sprucing up the house, and they aren't done yet, so I can't wait to see the final product. I learned a lot of things this weekend though, and I might as well tell you here why I was under E's watchful eye for almost 4 hours yesterday!

Sewing with any striped fabric is HARD. Especially when you aren't used to carefully measuring and pinning. E taught me the importance of pins, but I didn't take the stripes into consideration before I started sewing, so my finished product looks a little wonky, but I am still very proud.

Nylon is thicker than you think. E was a trooper and sewed a nylon keychain for me, and most of it was done by hand because we didn't want to hurt the needle on the sewing machine. All that really happened though was that E hurt her fingers, but it looks awesome. I will post pictures tonight if Mr. Pit ever gives me my laptop back. (but, since he needs it for the next 2 years in grad school, probably not so much)

Slower is better. E taught me how to 'hand sew' with the machine, and I can't tell you what a difference this makes. I am not very good with the foot pedal thing, so being able to start the row using my hand and cranking the needle down does amazing things to start the project.

Measure twice, then again, THEN cut. I didn't do this as I was too excited to get to sewing. E told me that over half of the issues with any garment come from NOT measuring correctly and not leaving yourself enough room to actually sew.

I learned a ton and can't wait to work on new projects. JoAnn's was having a huge sale over the weekend, so I will try to get up there another day this week to pick up some more supplies and see if I can start a real live project as opposed to just making them up as I go along. However, I think my first "Jewelry Envelope" as I call it, turned out really well.

Oh, and one more thing, don't forget to iron! This makes a HUGE difference in the look of the final product and makes it look THAT much more professional. Totally awesome!

Thanks again to E, R and Cami for hosting me yesterday!!

No comments: