Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Welcome to FABULOUS Las Vegas

So, here they are. Some pictures from our trip last week.

For today, the Hoover Dam. As an engineer I am completely fascinated by this structure, and I think all too often Americans forget the infrastructure that makes this country completely amazing. Do you realize that most of the water and electricity that feed Southern California comes from the Hoover Dam? I mean, do you realize how much power and water that is on a DAILY basis? Totally overwhelming and awesome. AND to think that this was all done in the 1930's when they didn't have 1/100th of the construction technology we have today. A.MAZ.ING.
The view from the parking lot.


The bridge they are building to divert all car and truck traffic away from the dam itself. HOLY high bridge batman!


The map showing where and how the water flows through the dam


The underground tunnel we walked through, we were 550 feet INTO the rock...eek!


Mr. Pit and I at the top of the visitor center, with a great view of the dam itself, Lake Mead is behind that (obviously)


The view from the dam looking down river. It was WAY WAY WAY down, I had to give Mr. Pit the camera to take this one, I was getting vertigo!


That's it for the dam, I will post pictures of the dolphins, leopards, lions and tigers tomorrow!!

xoxo Mrs. Pit

1 comment:

What Kate Wore said...

Great post Miss PPB, especially the photos. I can't tell you how many documentaries we have watched on this topic, we're both just fascinated by it!

Smiles at you,
tp