Friday, March 9, 2012

YAHOO!

So, not sure I have mentioned this, but I am my BFF B's Maid of Honor for her wedding in June.

Two things...ME- MAID OF HONOR, what WHAT?! Seriously, this girl has 1,000,000 friends. ALL way cooler than me, but I get the #1 spot. ME! (imagine me saying that like Reese Witherspoon does in Legally Blonde). Anywho, I'm pretty excited about it. (read, I must tell people 100 times a day, I feel like I'M the one getting married!)

I am supposed to plan the bridal shower (as the entire world screeches to a halt). In New York City.

You guys, I don't know a THING about New York City except how to get on a train, get there and then hail a cab where I have to go. I have been known to navigate the subway successfully a few times, but honestly, the whole city scares the daylights out of me. I am NOT a city girl. Nope, suburbs THROUGH and THROUGH.

Anyways, for WEEKS I have been calling places, reaching out to friends old and new for suggestions and everything was just SO expensive. Now, I live outside Philly, NOT in some small town in some weird state where they don't have things like afternoon tea. I feel like I know about what it should cost. What it should NOT cost is $40 a person. PLUS rental fees for the space PER HOUR. Come on now, seriously?

So, I reached out to the woman who knows everything about everything and has New York City wrapped around her finger. Why I didn't reach out to her earlier still escapes me. I figure if anyone knew anything about anything, it would be her. If she lived in Philly (which she did when her husband went to law school with my Dad) Philly Magazine would just make one phone call for the Best of Philly issue and it would be to her.

This amazing woman is my Godmother T (do you all have Godmothers? I have two lucky me! Seriously, best thing that ever happened to me...sorry Mr. Pit, other than you and Little Pit of course!)

T (she used to be Aunt T but won't let me call her that any more on account that I am now 31) called around and then offered her fabulous apartment up for the afternoon. (She has the most amazing views of Lower Manhattan). So, we now have a caterer all lined up, I'm renting linens down here, my awesome Mom S is doing all the flower arrangements and the whole freaking thing is set in 4 little emails.

What's awesome about her too is that I never in my mind even thought of asking her for her apartment as it's a HUGE undertaking to host 40 people wether you know them or not, but she offered it right up as if it were a restaurant down the street. Because that's who she is. THE kindest, most generous person I've ever met. You have no idea how much easier this makes my life. PLUS, it cuts down on the costs tremendously. Just 2 days ago this shower was costing me and the bridesmaids an absurd amount for a 2 hour tea, and now we can get by with a small donation from each bridesmaid and we're set.

I was so overwhelmed at the thought of navigating New York City by myself on a Saturday in June trying to find the spot that I had booked from 100 miles away, all while trying to keep costs down for everyone while providing B the amazing afternoon she deserves.

Just wanted to give some major generosity kudos to my amazing Godmother T, and to my Mom who has already come up with some fabulous floral designs for the afternoon. Bonus props if anyone can give me a discount code for Minted so I can get the invitations on the cheap...anyone? Anyone?

I also have NO idea how I even have the energy to write this post at 11pm on a Friday night, I think it is just knowing that things are set and that I can move forward on planning the fun stuff...like Bridal Shower Mad Libs?! Oh yes, it's happening!

I hope everyone has great weekends and catch up on sleep tonight as we lose an hour tomorrow night with daylight savings.

xoxo Mrs. Pit

2 comments:

Her Preppiness said...

That's great news!!!

Dollface said...

Sounds amazing! Send me some details, I have to help plan 2 bachelorette parties!!! hope you are well, xxxooo